Sequence of TS founding
Mar 12, 2006 08:58 PM
The claims that various theosophical societies were founded in 1875
is at best a deficit of understanding, nonetheless deceptive.
The TS was first incorporated in New York in 1875 under the laws of
New York state that had no jurisdicton outside the U.S. W. Q. Judge
remained in New York after Olcott and Blavatsky moved to India and
managed the first TS.
The Theosophical Society in America was created by W. Q. Judge in
1895. Olcott's response was to expel from the Adyar Society the
lodges that had gone with Judge. Olcott's explusion included the
original Theosophical Society created in New York.
The Theosophical Society in Adyar was established as an association
in 1878 or 1879, after Olcott moved to Adyar. Adyar incorporated in
India in 1905.
The American Section under Adyar incorporated in 1926 then changed
its name to the Theosophical Society in America in 1934.
The American Section that transformed into the TSA at Wheaton was
established no earlier than 1895, when the lodges that voted with
Judge were expelled. TSA claims that it has existence since 1875
[Back to Top]
Dedicated to the Theosophical Philosophy and its Practical Application